Chilton Town Council
Chilton Town Council
Home / History

History

Chilton Town Council / Research and History

Chilton is an industrially developed village that owes its earlier existence to the presence of coal seams, which lie at some depth beneath its surface. For many years the village was divided into three areas: Dene Bridge, Chilton Buildings and Windlestone. The major expansion in the early part of the twentieth century was due entirely to the success of Chilton and Windlestone Collieries.

A shaft had been sunk as early as 1833 at Dene Bridge, but it was not until the 1870's that the small hamlet of Chilton Buildings progressed with the repairing of the shaft at Dene Bridge and the sinking of a new one, followed a few years later by the sinking of shafts at Windlestone, its site now occupied by Chilton Primary School. This brought about the building of Dene Bridge and Windlestone Rows, to house the miners of both pits. As time went by, expansion brought the two communities together, forming the Chilton that we know today.

History of Chilton

Rushyford is less than half a mile to the south of the village and has always been associated with Chilton. It is located on the former Windlestone Estate once owned by the powerful Eden family.

History of Chilton

The progress and expansion of our two communities was, for many years, tied to the success or failure of our two coal mines.

History of Chilton

Download History of Chilton as PDF file (1.56mb)  

The download will open in another page and may take some minutes to download.